Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Gettin Over the Hump: Salmon Farms


I used to love salmon. I liked the hearty texture, its distinct flavor, I liked it raw, but equally enjoyed it well done. 

The past few months I've been researching aquaculture and salmon farms and I'm disturbed by my findings. Most of the salmon in supermarkets and restaurants comes from farms, enclosed pens set-up in fresh water inlets created to meet market demands and mitigate the overfishing of wild sea life. The problems and health risks associated with farmed salmon has literally put me off my fish and I wanted to share my research with you. If we want to be thriving in health, then we should know what's going into our food. So the next time you're in the mood for this pink fish, consider these things before buying:

If you're going to buy salmon, make sure it's wild. Here's a guide on how to tell the difference between wild salmon and farmed salmon.

Farmed salmon is riddled with disease, toxins and unnatural added ingredients.

The overcrowded pens are polluting our fresh waters and harming local wild salmon.

Farmed salmon is higher in fat than wild salmon and higher in omega 6 fats, which is bad.

(I devoured this open-face smoked salmon sandwich in a little country pub a few years back)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...