Monday, November 24, 2014

Rio 3-Peaks Challenge


So a week ago was the Rio 3-Peaks Challenge, a fundraising event for the Street Child World Cup which involved hiking three of Rio's famous mountains in 12 hours. I did the challenge last year and the experience was amazing. This time around was a little different.


We did Pedra da Gavea first and what makes this peak challenging is the 30-meter wall you have scramble in order to reach the top. The wall is pretty much vertical and open air, so you are exposed to the heights. Last year I had heard about this famous wall but I didn't know what to expect so I felt a bit fearless. This time around I knew exactly what was coming I was scared. I wasn't sure if I wanted to make it to the top and told myself I would decide when I reached the wall. 

Nearly there...


It was a gorgeous day and the lagoon in Barra was mirroring the skies, which was amazing. 


Looking up at the wall I felt unsure but everyone went up and I didn't want to punk out. Plus we had guides and harness equipment, so there was no reason to be afraid. Midway up the climb I couldn't get a firm grip and I froze on that wall. I became paralysed with fear and my limbs started to shake. It felt irrational because I couldn't fall, but so real. Finally I made it up and then had a little cry. 


I still felt shaken up once we reached the top, the experience shook my core. I also had to get my ass back down, so had that to look forward too.



I felt nervous about scaling down, but I also really wanted to get off the peak. It's kind of crazy that you can't see the bottom of the wall, it just drops off after that curve.


Once I got down, the rest of the day was a piece of cake. Our next peak Dois Irmaos was easy peasy.


Hub was in the fast group but I eventually caught up to him on the last peak Corcovado mountain.


On our way up we ran into this little guy and I was able to get really close. I desperately wanted to feed him a banana and give him a hug.



Once we got to the top I sat by the bar and put my feet up. Three peaks done. In the end I felt proud of myself for getting through it, but I don't think I'll be visiting Pedra da Gavea anytime soon. 


Thanks for all the support and donations.


Love,
L
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...