Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gettin' Over the Hump


You place a 36-pack of Oreo cookies in front of me and chances are I will eat more than the suggested and "moderate" serving of two cookies. In fact if I were to be alone in such situation with a bottle of wine and a chick flick, I would happily demolish at least half if not the whole damn thing. And then guilt with a side of self-loathing would commence. You feel me right?

When it comes to unhealthy foods that I love, I have no willpower. I can't just eat a little, the first bite sends me into a euphoric frenzy and I will eat more than I should. And I know I'm not alone. When I had my first consultation with the diabetic nurse, she went on and on about eating carbs in moderation but what the hell does that mean? She couldn't give me an exact figure or anything concrete to follow and I struggled with my diet all last year until I started researching on my own. What I've discovered is if I wanted to make permanent changes to my diet and health, the concept of moderation is bullshit. It's almost impossible to get the results you want whilst dipping your fingers into the cookie jar and here's why: 

The biggest problem with moderation is that it relies on willpower

There are biological reasons why you can't eat your favorite junk in moderation

Moderation is an excuse to eat the food that is feeding your muffin top

A friend of mine recently posted a vlog about being unhappy with her weight and wanting to make lifestyle changes, but she said she "can't" give up her favorite vices. I remember feeling this way when I realized I had to give up sugar, but it got easier once I changed my mind-set

(Picture taken in 2000 by Hub. I broke my pescetarian diet and was demolishing a bacon cheeseburger and fries)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...