Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Gettin' Over the Hump


On Monday afternoon, my nose started to run and I felt a cold coming. By the end of the evening, I was a full-on sneezing, aching snot rag. Normally I would treat colds by guzzling NyQuil and taking tablets, but this time I decided to go all natural and I'm already on the mends after two days. There are many benefits to using natural remedies, but for me I just like knowing exactly what I'm putting into my body and that it's all good. Here are a few of my favorite tips for fighting colds with nature.

Drink a few spoonfuls of raw apple cider vinegar. The main ingredient acetic acid can kill bacteria and help prevent bacteria from multiplying and reaching harmful levels. So drink it everyday as a preventative measure or if your like me, start taking it as soon as symptoms start. Make sure the label says "with mother" which are strands of protein and enzymes.

Get your vitamin C on with freshly squeezed juice. Vitamin C helps you fight off the cold faster and it's also a natural antioxidant which helps protect cells. Store-bought brands are pasteurised and the heating process has killed all the natural vitamin C from the fruit, so you'll benefit most from freshly squeezed. So you can either create your own at home or give your roommate or loved one that distressed, I'm sick, puppy look and ask them to get you a 32oz fresh orange juice from Jamba Juice or WholeFoods pretty please.

Or you can walk to your local juice shop because a bit of light exercise is good for fighting off colds. It's the last thing you want to do when sick, but sweating cleanses your system, shaking that tushie will get blood flowing through your head and open up passages and you'll feel better after. Yesterday I only moved from my bed to get water or take a tinkle, but today I going to do a light jog.

Infuse your foods with ginger, which boosts your immune system and I think it acts like a natural decongestant too. Last night Hub made a delicious soupy vegetable curry with lots of ginger and the combination of spice and fragrance opened up my nasal passages and felt soothing on my throat. So cook a nice warm soup with ginger or create a fresh lemon-ginger tea for a double whammy to your cold. 

(Picture of me in my room yesterday)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...