Monday, June 24, 2013

In the Kitchen: More than Miso Soup


Hub and I came down with a nasty summer cold this week, which kept us tucked in bed and too lazy to cook. After one too many PB&J's, we realized we needed sustenance and looked to our local takeaways. What we really wanted and needed was something along the lines of homemade chicken soup, which was no where to be found on Broadway Market. Then I remembered a nice and EASY miso soup we made in my Wholefoods class and fortunately, we had all the ingredients in our cupboard.

Makes 2 large servings or 4 small ones
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 yellow onion sliced
  • 2 inch piece of ginger roughly chopped
  • 1/2 red chili pepper minced
  • 3 sachets of red miso soup (or miso paste)
  • 1 1/2 bundles of Soba or Udon or Vermicelli noodles
  • 1 bag of mini prawns
  • 5 mushrooms sliced
  • 1 vegetarian bouillon cube
  • sunflower oil (or any oil for sauteing)
  • toasted sesame oil
  • 3 cups boiling hot water
Heat up a mixture of both oils in a big sauce pan and just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. I love toasted sesame oil and it produces that fragrant smell associated with Asian cooking, but you only need a little dash. I sweated the garlic, onion, chili and ginger, then added and sauteed the mushrooms for a few minutes. Once everything looked soft and shiny, I added the water, bouillon, and miso. Bring to a simmer and simultaneously prepare your noodles separately. The best thing about these noodles is that they cook so quickly. All you need to do is immerse them in boiling water for a few minutes and voila! Your soup is done and ready to go. I like to place my noodles in the bowl then ladle in the soup.






So this soup is somewhere between a pho and a miso soup and what's wonderful is that you can throw in practically any protein/veg your little heart desires or can scavenge from your fridge. You can also use miso paste, but I like the sachets because they are quick and they season my soup for me. So with minimal effort, I threw the soup together and 20 minutes later was back in bed with Hub.


    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...