Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In the Kitchen: Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese

On Election Night, I wanted to make a classic American dish for dinner (obvs) and I immediately thought of a restaurant in the Flatiron district that used to serve delicious gourmet soups with paired grilled sandwiches for dipping. I wanted something easy and that would go down well with the Hub and my friend Erin.

Naturally I turned to the Food Network for ideas and I always prefer the American site. They speak my language - cups, cans, no grams. I chose Ina Garten's Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup although this recipe with grilled cheese croutons was a close contender. Ina's soup was delicious and very rich. I think next time I will substitute the cream with natural yogurt or experiment with a non-dairy milk.


Grilled cheese is a no brainer, but choose your loaf and cheese wisely. I picked up a nutty wholewheat loaf with a combo of mozzarella and spicy mature cheddar. The heat from the fiery chili complimented the creaminess of my soup. I ended up serving them pancake style, halved and piled up high on a plate for grabbing & dipping. 


It was a wonderful evening and we eventually celebrated Obama's win at around 5:30am. We even stayed up to hear his speech!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...